On Saturday, I took the kids to Traeger's on 611 which is a cute lite farm right off of the Delaware river. I saw that a neighbor had gone there to have their kids pick strawberries. I have been wanting to do this and so I was excited to find that we could do it just 10 minutes from the house. We grabbed a basket and some fabric bags and headed to our destination. It was a little later in the morning, nearly eleven when we left, so it was quite hot but a beautiful day. (Our delay was due to waiting for the police to arrive to investigate our smashed mailbox. They did not arrive until around 2:00, well after we arrived back from picking and I was able to repair the mailbox, do all is good.)
Back to the berries...
So we arrived and went into the little store to have our basket and bags weighed. Then a nice girl walked us out to the rows of berries and have us some tips on picking. There had been some early traffic, so she suggested venturing further down the rows to fine good ones. So off we went. Jack was saying, "look at this big beauty" every few feet and Nora was happily picking, then Jack exclaimed, "dad, my foot is all wet!" I went to investigate and found that many of the "beauties" we a little overripe and the juice was dripping through his bag. We did a little thinning of the herd and we back on track. We picked a little over 7 pounds of berries before the kids got too hot and were hungry for lunch. Our lunch did include some strawberries and today they had strawberry milkshakes. We froze most of them but I am hoping to make some strawberry jam too.



No comments:
Post a Comment