Monday, September 19, 2016

Crazy Weekend


It was a busy weekend filled with lots of fun and a few challenges. On Saturday morning, the dryer stopped working which was not a great thing to start the day with, but there was no time to investigate that. The kids had a ninja warrior event at Nora's gymnastics gym. The course was pretty cool and they both did well. After that, we stopped at Pizza Hut before heading out to Shartlesville to the Mountain Spring Arena for a demolition derby. We got some ice cream and Nora got cotton candy before the cars rolled into the arena. The first heat was pretty wild but then the youth age group came in which included 12 - 15 year olds. Now they were wild. A couple of cars on fire, clouds of oil smoke and a lot of wreckage. The kids were getting tired, so we left a little early to find that the parking lot did not have an exit. The cars were parked in a V, so I took a few rails out of the split rail fence so we could make an early exit. When we got home, I tore the dryer apart and found that the heat element had failed. I found the part on Amazon for $13 (it arrived today, Monday and I was able to install it over lunch), so that was fortunate that we didn't have to drop a couple hundred dollars on a new dryer.

Sunday was the church breakfast, so I was up early to help in the kitchen. The kids came over for some breakfast and then Sunday school. We got home around noon and Leigh told me that the garage door broke, so I spent a few hours getting the tension cables back on the pulleys. In the end, I got it back together and it is working, so that was lucky. The kids watched a movie and then road their bikes for a while. Jack and I played basketball and he is getting pretty good. We wrapped up the day reading Harry Potter. I let them watch only what we read, so the are finding that a lot gets left out of the movie. 

I also worked on the 289 engine that I bought for the mustang. I removed the intake, connecting rods, heads, valves, water pump, and took out the first piston to clean it. It took a couple hours but it's looking pretty good.  Hopefully I won't need to replace too much to get it running. I am really enjoying the process of understanding all that goes into an internal combustion engine. 

Today, was back to school. The kids are really enjoying their teacher, Ms. Borzak. Tonight was Jack's first night of Boy Scouts. He is excited to get his uniform. It ended up being mainly an information meeting so he is looking forward to the next one where there will hopefully be more activities. 












No comments: