On September 10th, our cat Myles passed away. I think I was the most broken up by it, but I was with him the longest. I got him the first year that I lived at the old house on Front Street and when I checked his medical records, they had his birthday listed as July 18, 1999. Although he was a stray adopted from Forgotten Felines and there was no way to know his actual birth date, I found it rather amazing, that his birthday was listed as the same date that the twins were born nine years later.
Myles hadn't been doing too well since February. I had him to the vet twice since then to get antibiotics for an infection in his nose that made it difficult for him to breathe. Despite the medication, he continued to lose weight and the last month, he was eating next to nothing. We had talked to the kids about how he was getting older and that he might pass away soon, so when they got home from school and we told them, they were somewhat prepared. I had dug a hole in one of the flower beds, so we could have a little memorial before we buried him. The kids said a few words and put some dirt on the box while I tried to say a few things but got choked up. So, I filled in the hole with help from Leigh and made a plan to get a stepping stone that we could mark with Myles' name and the kids were excited to do that.
Since then the kids have gone out a few times to talk to Myles at the spot in the garden and occasionally, they have said they are sad that Myles isn't here. Jack has said that he has seen a black cat in various places and that he thinks it is Myles telling him that he is ok. They have also asked to get a new pet. Jack wants a lizard and Nora wants a hamster but I think we will wait a bit on getting new pets. Lily has been getting a bit more attention and seems to be doing ok.
Here's to you Myles, you were a one-of-a-kind cat and we will miss you...


No comments:
Post a Comment